Mount Rest Fund
Mount Rest Fund Video
In 1894, Mount Rest Home was started by a group of forward-thinking women, at their own expense, as a residence for elderly ladies in Knoxville who had very little funds or family to care for them. The devoted women of the board of Mount Rest Home cooked and sold lunches at Thanksgiving to raise funds to support the home, and they tended to every need of the house and the ladies who lived there.
Although the lovely home eventually closed, many of the daughters and granddaughters of the original board members have continued to provide for the welfare of women and children in Knox County. They established the Mount Rest Foundation in 1994 and then the Mount Rest Fund of East Tennessee Foundation in 2004 to continue and secure their families’ legacy of caring for Knox County’s women and children.
The online application became available September 26, 2016
, and the submission deadline will be October 31, 2016
Grant Terms and Amounts
Grants will generally range from $5,000 - $20,000 and will be awarded in spring 2017 for two-year terms.
Who May Apply
Areas of Focus
- General Eligibility and Funding Criteria
- Additional eligibility criteria specific to Mount Rest Fund:
- Applicant organization must serve women and/or children in Knoxville or Knox County
- Under special circumstances, grants will be made to institutions outside Knox County for programs that are operated within or provide direct benefit to residents of the county
- Schools and churches are ineligible for funding
- Salary or administrative support must not exceed 50% of the funding requested
Successful applicants must propose programs which address one or more of the following issues which impact women and/or children (boys or girls younger than 18 years) of Knoxville and Knox County:
- Health and well-being
- Training for employment
How to Apply
Please direct your questions to:
Vice President for Competitive Grant Programs
East Tennessee Foundation
520 W. Summit Hill Drive, Suite 1101
Knoxville, TN 37902
Telephone: (865) 524-1223 or (877) 524-1223
Thank you for your interest in the Mount Rest Fund.