UNDERSTANDING THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications for 2021 scholarships will be available November 1, 2020.
All 2020 scholarships have been awarded.
- Our Common Application is used for 63 of our scholarship opportunities.
- Based on your answers to eligibility questions in our Common Application, you will see a list of East Tennessee Foundation (ETF) scholarships for which you are eligible to apply.
- You will then need to answer additional questions in order to complete the applications for the specific scholarships listed.
- Note: If after completing the Common Application, you believe you should have been eligible for additional scholarships, contact Beth Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ashley Siferd Butler at email@example.com.
STAND ALONE Applications:
- There are seven additional individual scholarships including:
- Howard H. Baker Medical Scholarship: for medical students
- Steven L. Coffey Middle College Memorial Scholarship: for high school students in Roane State Community College's Middle College program
- Candace Mast Veterinary Medicine Scholarship: for veterinary students
- Spenser F. Powell Memorial Law Scholarship: for law students
- Randall Stout Memorial Scholarship: for architecture students
- Haley Elise Van Pelt Scholarship: for intellectually or developmentally disabled students to attend inclusive post-secondary programs
- Oak Ridge Rotary Club Brad Sturm Memorial Essay Contest: for graduating high school seniors of Oak Ridge High School
- If after reviewing the scholarship descriptions you would like to apply for these scholarships, you must complete and submit the corresponding application. Review the Guide to Completing Your Individual Scholarship Application.
How to Apply for East Tennessee Foundation Scholarships
- Carefully read the Guide to Completing Your Common Scholarship Application and/or Guide to Completing Your Individual Scholarship Application.
- All ETF applications are to be completed online, except the Tennessee Judicial Conference Fund Scholarships.
- Click the "Apply Now" link below to access the applications.
- Applications may be completed in a single sitting or saved as a draft and finished later. Save your draft applications regularly as you work to avoid loss of data!
- Submit your application(s) before the deadline.
To upload attachments to an application, follow directions in the Guide to Completing Your Common Scholarship Application and/or Guide to Completing Your Individual Scholarship Application. Be sure to save your application each time you upload documents, and always double check to make sure all your documents uploaded correctly.
Student Aid Report (SAR):
The Student Aid Report (SAR) is the report that is sent to students who have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). See an example SAR. ETF uses the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number found in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of your SAR as a factor in the decision process. The EFC is a measure of your family's financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. The information you report on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC.
The FAFSA for 2021 is available at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa on October 1, 2020.
Please Note: If you are not eligible to submit a FAFSA due to citizenship/immigration status, you may still apply for our scholarships! Please contact Beth Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate instructions.
Letter of Recommendation:
If you are asked for a Letter of Recommendation, follow directions in the Guide to Completing Your Common Scholarship Application and/or Guide to Completing Your Individual Scholarship Application. Letters of Recommendation submitted for your application are uploaded directly from your recommender.
An Application is not ready to submit until:
- All required questions/fields have been completed;
- All required attachments have been uploaded; and
- If applicable, required contact information for the Letter of Recommendation has been entered and the email sent.
- Note: While you may submit your application before your Letter of Recommendation is uploaded, your application is not complete until your letter has been received.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If you are unable to access a required document because of the pandemic, upload a statement explaining your circumstances AND contact Beth Heller at email@example.com or Ashley Siferd Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate instructions.
- Please Note: If your school building is operating virtually, we suggest you contact your school counselor who should be able to access your transcript and email it to you so that you can upload it to your application.
Click the "Submit" button once your application is completed.
- Consider your answers to be your way of introducing yourself to the reviewers.
- Take your time! You have the ability to logout and login as you please. Be sure to save your draft applications when you logout to avoid loss of data!
- Give yourself enough time to complete the applications without having to rush.
- Proof your answers! Check for spelling and grammar. Ask a friend, teacher, parent, or mentor to read your essays before submitting your application.