East Tennessee Foundation Now Seeking Legal + Advancement Associate
August 23, 2021
Legal + Advancement Associate
East Tennessee Foundation is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) community foundation serving 25 counties in East Tennessee. Governed by a volunteer board of directors, its mission is to provide philanthropic leadership inspiring donors to make lives better and communities stronger in enduring ways across generations. The Foundation has total assets over $600 million, more than 450 charitable funds and 8 supporting organizations, and $25 million in annual grantmaking.
The Legal + Advancement Associate will work independently on assigned office tasks and provide support for the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement. Qualifications and responsibilities follow.
Qualifications and Experience:
The Legal + Advancement Associate’s education and experience must offer both the credibility and the preparation needed to work independently, accurately, assertively, and creatively.
Preference given to applicants with a B.S. or B.A. degree or technical training and experience as a legal assistant and at least five (5) years of experience in a nonprofit organization or legal environment.
Analytical skills to assess relevant facts of a situation.
Ability to identify pertinent legal and procedural considerations and communicate the information to the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement.
A general understanding of planned giving and estate planning concepts, legal protocols, and the structured nature of legal agreements.
Ability to draft, collect and organize documents and information from various multifaceted tasks for thorough and timely completion.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work within a team environment and with diverse individuals.
A well-developed working knowledge of computers, computer software and databases, Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel, legal resources, email, and the Internet.
The Legal + Advancement Associate will provide support to the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement and the advancement team in these two major areas:
- Assist in the process and preparation of advancement-related legal and administrative matters; and,
- Support the cultivation and nurturing of potential and existing fundholder and professional advisor relationships.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the process by which applicable Foundation information and corresponding legal agreements are disseminated to prospective fundholders and professional advisors on a timely basis.
- Manage the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement’s calendar and assigned work as needed.
- Prepare letters and other documents, including both original composition and working from drafts or dictation.
- Assist the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement with all legal matters of the Foundation and legal compliance requirements as outlined in the Foundation’s Asset Development Policy, IRS regulations, and Federal and State law.
- Assist with the maintenance of computer databases and files, with significant responsibility for entering and organizing prospect, donor, and fundholder data and producing reports and mailing lists.
- Maintain paper and electronic documents/information of the General Counsel + Vice President for Advancement.
- Provide support to other Foundation staff with other advancement efforts.
- Utilize Asana project management software to create, organize, and manage tasks and team projects.
- Perform general clerical tasks, including photocopying, filing, making file folders, and maintaining office records.
- Assist in the preparation for board and committee meetings.
- Assist in various office projects and tasks as needed.
Please email resumes with cover letter and list of employment references:
East Tennessee Foundation
EMAIL ONLY; PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS.
The Foundation offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including health, long-term disability, and a retirement plan. Position available immediately, but search will be kept open until appropriate candidate is identified.
EAST TENNESSEE FOUNDATION (ETF) IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER OF SERVICES AND EMPLOYMENT AND RESPECTS, CELEBRATES, AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY THAT POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTES TO THE COMMUNITY. ETF DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, GENDER, FAMILIAL STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AGE, DISABILITY, COVERED VETERAN STATUS OR ANY OTHER CLASSIFICATION PROTECTED BY FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LAW. ETF ENCOURAGES ITS GRANTEE AND PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS TO ADHERE TO THESE PRINCIPLES.