Hope in Action Fund
The Hope in Action Fund was established in conjunction with East Tennessee Foundation's Annual Meeting in January 2019. After a surge in hate crimes across our region and nation, the Foundation established this new fund to support programs that nurture hope and equality in our culture. In 2020 and 2021, ETF activated this fund to competitively award grants to nonprofit organizations addressing racism and injustice in our community.
Since its inception, the Hope in Action Fund has awarded $195,000 in grants to many regional organizations. Grants have supported innovative solutions that dismantle racism, oppression, and injustice and provide a region where we can grow a more just, equitable, and inclusive future. Funded projects include collaborations among partners with diverse backgrounds and perspectives, projects that promote constructive dialogue, programs that provide space for individuals to thrive, learn, and grow, education and arts programs, or programs working toward systemic change in one or more communities within our region.
Please click on the links below to learn more about these organizations.
- 100 Black Men of Greater Knoxville, Inc.
- A 1 Learning Connections
- Alliance House Community Coalition
- Asian Culture Center of Tennessee
- Bridge Refugee Services
- Carpetbag Theatre, Inc.
- Catholic Charities of East Tennessee, Inc. – Office of Immigrant Services
- Community Building Institute
- East Tennessee State University – Slocumb Galleries
- Drums Up Guns Down (fiscally sponsored by Freedom Village of Hope)
- Highlander Research & Education Center
- HoLa Hora Latina
- HOLA Lakeway
- Justice Initiative
- Justice Knox
- Knoxville Area Urban League
- Knoxville Equity Partners (fiscally sponsored by Three3, Inc.)
- Knoxville Internationals Network
- Knoxville Jewish Alliance, Inc.
- Lincoln Memorial University – Mountain Fiesta
- Marble City Opera
- Metro Drug Coalition – The Gateway
- MYNARK Tribe, Inc.
- Penultimate Development
- ReFrame Foundation
- SEEED, Inc.
- Shora Foundation
- The Bottom
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville – Knoxville Arab Fest
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville – WUOT Oral History Project
- Town of Jonesborough – McKinney Center
- United Way of Blount County
The application process for 2021 has closed. Grants were awarded in August 2021 for one-year terms and ranged from $2,500 - $12,500.
Details about the next application process and grant cycle have not yet been determined. Please contact one of the individuals below for more information about future grantmaking.
To Support the Hope in Action Fund
Please consider donating to this Fund to help serve organizations working in our region to dismantle racism, oppression, and injustice, allowing the Foundation to make well-placed and wise grants. Click here to donate online, recommend a grant from your ETF donor advised fund, or write a check payable to East Tennessee Foundation with "Hope in Action" in the memo line and mail to:
East Tennessee Foundation
520 W. Summit Hill Drive, Suite 1101
Knoxville, TN 37902
For questions about the Hope in Action Fund, please contact:
Ashley Siferd Butler, Program Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Renfro, Financial + Administrative Officer, email@example.com
Jan Elston, Vice President for Competitive Grant Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (865) 524-1223 or Toll-Free (877) 524-1223